Sunday, September 8, 2013

You Can Too: Hallow's Eve Treat 2013 BLAST from DIY 2010!

Halloween could possibly be my favorite holiday. That is a bold statement. 
I truly love all occasions with family and friends alike but there is just that thing about Halloween... dressing up and scary stuff. Okay. Two things. I do not think I know one person who doesn't love getting a little creeped out at their shower curtain or wondering if you should check under the bed, for that masked killer you read about in a fiction novel from yesteryear (& not that it matters but, one of my favorite "scary" movies is Little Monsters!). 

When we lived in Monterey we wanted to have friends over to celebrate and pretty much just have an excuse to purposely live in decorations...for a week we added this and that and made some fun stuff so that I can use them again and again. And let me say, we had a good time! Our rental in Monterey was a find and I really liked that town. If you ever get a chance, go. You will not regret it. 

Sweet Avery (then almost one) did not know what to think of the webbing on our stairwell. It was a tremendous feat that took me late into the night with giddies, don't be fooled it was like watching THAT girl decorating for Homecoming. I was so into it. I was online searching like crazy for cheap ideas, up cycling projects, ANYTHING. And in my very humble opinion, it paid off! 

Almost everything was purchased at the Dollar Tree or found around CL free.

I used clear tape to hang skeletons I had tied some cooking twine around to look like they we hanging skeletons, can be too much for some folks but Avery never noticed. The adults did! 


With the front porch I used blood dripping candles on wine bottles of Two Buck Chuck purchased from Trader Joes, un-carved pumpkins that we later decorated, and "shrunken heads" from apples I carved and let air dry inside (and I only kept these outside for our party and the actual Hallows Eve!)! There are lots on online tutorials for fruit shrunken heads, and since you're not eating them it its ok to skimp and get the non organic brand. 

Eeeeerrrriiiieeees huh? 


For our large front window I got some large trash bags our neighbor was throwing out and some from our multiple moves and cut layers of "flame". Another "cheap Halloween decor idea" search. Still have these too and have used is several windows or can layer in one for a different look! It was super fun in this home because the air vent was on the floor so when the heat kicked on the flames flickered in the shadowy window and it looked super fun! 

For random knick knack areas around the home I glued eye balls on pumpkins and filled glass containers with craft beads and little skulls I found 10/$1 at Target. 

AND again, clear tape makes any decorating super easy. 
Hung a net and tangled little plastic buggies in it and even some fake flesh. 

Found these glow in the dark window skulls for 90% off the DAY of Halloween.. BPA free too. Not an AWESOME eco buy, but since it IS reusable, I figured it'd be worth it for the years/moves to come! I store all my decor in a marked bin for moving/easy seasonal decorating!


Ben admiring the front porch before trick or treaters show up!

some awesome ghouls! 

Found this link for Spiderweb Cookies 
and inspired myself a cake...
My 1st spider web cake was so easy! 

I hope these pictures provide some thrifty encouragement! The one item I did not have pictures of  *and I am not digging them out just yet* are spray painted roses. Found some free ones on Craigslist & cheap elsewhere, bought as-clean-as-I-could black matte spray paint and had black roses all through the house too! Used awesome terrorrrific food ideas from online like dried cranberries as scabs, stuffed dates as roaches, knobs of ginger around as witches knuckles,  witches fingers (cheese sticks with almond ends), vampire punch,... so many ideas out there! Here is a great one for Family Halloween Ideas and another I love is Easy Halloween Ideas . They are the most common you will see flying around, but I encourage you to not give up! YOU CAN PARTY ON A BUDGET, don't be scaaaaaarrrrrrrrred. See for yourself!




Boo for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment