Yes this is creamy and delish and everything I hoped it would be! I really wanted creamed spinach without all the hustle and fat of actual cream so instead I made a rue and seasonings and cheeses! This is so easy, it's easily a staple for dinners now. You can make this and top pizza with it, eat as a side, place in pasta dishes, it's boundaries are limitless as long as your taste buds are too!
- 10 ounces - 1 lb of fresh spinach, tough stems removed
1 tbsp butter
1 tdsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup low-fat milk (you can add more if you wish for a runnier base)
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 tbsp of Feta ( I used Feta for umph and salt. Any kind would be good, so I used Tomato and Basil)
- Heat butter in small - medium small sauce pan over medium-high heat
- Add flour. Cook, stirring continuously until bubbly..about 30 seconds
- Add milk, nutmeg, pepper; while this cooks, whisk continuously for 1 - 3 mins until thickened
- Add Spinach to sauce, cook down for 1 min
- Sprinkle in cheeses and stir to melt
- Top w/ extra Parm or PR if desired
This was a RICH RICH version because of the Feta (my preggo taste buds always ask for the rich flava flavs!) So if you're not sure how you feel about the feta, leave it out and just do the regular cheese. Look for organic or low sodium cheeses in the specialty cheese sections of your deli. You pay for what you get, Gucci vs Mossimo!